NewTech Friday: Bluezone Insurance – Improving the lives of people with chronic health conditions

Insurance
21/06/2024 Interview
profile picture of Karan Mehta

Karan Mehta

Bluezone Insurance

Founder & CEO

Karan Mehta, Founder & CEO at Bluezone Insurance, tells Qorus' Boris Plantier about his company, a specialist life insurance provider offering personalized cover to individuals living with chronic conditions.


What led to the creation of Bluezone?

I started my medical career in the NHS (British national health service), where I worked for three and a half years. In medical school, I found the experience intellectually stimulating and fulfilling, knowing I was on a path to help people live healthier, happier, and longer lives. 

My decision to leave the NHS didn’t happen overnight. I had many ideas that I wanted to pursue, but implementing them within the existing system proved challenging. Moreover, my impact was limited to the patients I saw on the wards, and I wanted to create something proactive that could positively influence millions of people globally.

The alignment of incentives was what intrigued me most about the insurance industry, particularly in the areas of life and health insurance. This industry has the potential to offer proactive solutions and make a significant impact on people’s lives.

Currently, more than five million people in the UK have been diagnosed with diabetes, and some cases remain undiagnosed. Approximately 90% of these individuals have type 2 diabetes, while the remaining 10% have type 1 diabetes. This translates to about 6-8% of the UK population.

Demand for insurance among those with chronic conditions is high due to increased mortality risk and reduced life expectancy after diagnosis. However, the quality of products is lacking, with challenges in underwriting and access. These insights prompted me to create Bluezone, aiming to improve insurance access and support policyholders in leading healthier lives.

Want to keep reading?

Create a web account to get access to more insights

Related news & insights

Digital Reinvention
15/07/2024 Article

Financial Innovation Spotlight – July 2024 edition

This global innovation journey begins in Singapore, where OCBC Securities offers AI-driven personalized stock recommendations. Then we head to the...

Digital Reinvention
14/07/2024 News

Driving innovation in insurance: Insights from Santalucía's IMPULSA program

In a recent interview with El Referente, Ángel Uzquiza, Director of Innovation at Santalucía Seguros and Santalucía IMPULSA, shared insights...

Digital Reinvention
12/07/2024 Interview

NewTech Friday: Trustly – Offering fast, simple and secure online banking payments

Swedish scaleup Trustly is an open banking pioneer and a global payment method. Qorus’ Boris Plantier talked to Oscar Berglund,...

Digital Reinvention
11/07/2024 News

Indosuez Wealth Management expands "StartUp Connections" platform to new markets

Following its success in France, the platform now offers a simplified gateway to an international network of startups for these...

Embedded Insurance
11/07/2024 News

APOLLO and Dream partner to offer digital insurance to residents

This collaboration aims to simplify obtaining comprehensive insurance policies for residents and help property managers efficiently track insurance compliance.

Mobility
10/07/2024 Article

Volatile EV asset values are a looming headache for banks and insurers

The switch to EVs will force financial services firms to rethink how they calculate and manage the residual value of...

Mobility
09/07/2024 News

Measuring CO2 emissions in auto claims management

Crédit Agricole Assurances, Europ Assistance, and BCA Expertise, in collaboration with the Institut Louis Bachelier, have launched an innovative project...

Insurance
08/07/2024 Interview

Unveiling INside: Grupo Ageas Portugal’s path to innovation excellence

Grupo Ageas Portugal won bronze in the Workforce Transformation category at the Qorus Innovation in Insurance Awards 2024. Having already...